Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Small Project: Spice Cabinet


You wouldn't believe it but inside this pretty little cabinet door is a serious mess.  I know the golden rule, you aren't supposed to keep your spices above your stove and after taking a look inside the cabinet at some of these spices I can agree why.

However, I have a small house.  I have limited space and to be honest, I don't really notice a big difference in the spices other than that some of them were stuck together.  I rarely use them, and for the most part buy fresh when I can so I am going to keep the spices in the same spot.

As most of you know I create a series called Small Project's because I wanted to encourage you to be able to tackle something in your home under 30 minutes while your kids watched a show, ate their lunch or just when they weren't looking. 

These projects are simple, quick, make a huge impact and are easily done within 30 minutes.

So take a look inside this space cabinet.


So, yah the ride side kinda looks a little organized.  The left is a hot mess and everything in the back and middle are a disaster.  First thing to do is take everything out of the cabinet.  

Once you have everything out take a look around on what you have.  


You wouldn't believe that I had 3 bottles of cloves, duplicate red pepper flakes, multiple bottles with barely there ingredients.

I combined the cloves and threw out what was left inside old used bottles.  I tossed spices I just don't cook with in an effort to reduce the footprint of little red bottles.  I threw out cake decorating candies that were in there since, I don't know, before my kids were born.  Gross, I know.

So after the cabinet is empty, wipe everything down, clean it out, use a natural spray cleaner like Method!  It is a plant based cleaning product that is healthy for you and for your cabinets.  


Now that you have a blank canvas, start to put everything back.



I have a little step shelf that I bought at the container store.  It is just an easier way to see the spices.  

I put the tall bottles in the back (obviously), line the rest with the shorter red spice bottles.  I put some of the spices that didn't match the others down the middle of the cabinet and also snuck in my salt and pepper shakers.


I have a few other dried spices that I put along the left side of the cabinet and filled in with my vanilla extract, mint extract and peppermint extract.  Matt is a huge face of Tony's (it is a southern thing) so we need a gigantic creole spice in here as well.



I am a fan of the McCormick spice.  Maybe it is a New England thing, or maybe it is just the only popular spice company around but something excites me about these bottles.  I think it is the red tops, its a festive excitement.

So there you have it.  An organized spice cabinet.  Everything is easily visible.  I don't have to reach to much to get items.  Everything is clean and wiped down.  

I did this while my kids ate lunch and had everything cleaned up and put away before they were finished.

I hope you were able to benefit somewhat from this post.  If you have an idea of a small project let me know in the comments below.  

Also, don't forget to check out my Stonyfield Smoothie recipe

and enter for your chance to win one of their yummy yogurts.

Have a great day, see you tomorrow for our What's Up Wednesday.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...