Thursday, October 6, 2016

Clean Eating



Eating healthy is important to me.  However, I have not been doing well in the meal planning department.  I've been leaving it to the last minute and that puts me in a tailspin.  I end up wasting a lot of food and money as a result.

I was looking for ideas on how to save me from this black hole I have created.  I came across this blog called Clean Food Crush and I was in love.  I have been making healthy smoothies for breakfast for a while now and I usually am just grabbing all the ingredients at one time.  It is a bit of a pain because I usually have two cranky kids that can't wait for there smoothie.  The process is quite time consuming but is so worth it to make something healthy and delicious.  



The Pina-Colada Green Smoothies look amazing but what I love most is the idea of batching them all at once.  I will keep them in the freezer and when it is smoothie time I will just grab and go.  All of the details and how to do this can be found over on Rachel's blog Clean Food Crush.

I am going to try her Blueberry Oat Breakfast Bars next. 


I am determined to try at least one new meal a week and to pull two from my own recipe box.  I made butternut squash soup last night.  It has been raw and rainy.  So naturally, I had to break out the heartwarming soup.

I have only been making this recipe since last year when I grew an abundance of butternut squash.  It quickly became a household favorite.  It is easy to make, doesn't even really need an exact ingredient list and it is so easy to do.  I usually add a lot of black pepper to mine but the kids don't like anything "speckled" in their bowls so I have to be very careful.


4 pounds whole butternut squash (about 2 medium), halved lengthwise and seeds removed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
1 medium Granny Smith apple (about 8 ounces)
1/2 medium yellow onion
8 fresh sage leaves
2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish (optional)

* I adjusted this recipe to accommodate only two pounds of squash

I only post recipes that are 100% tried and true and loved by my family.

That is really it for my Thursday.  I am preparing for the weekend.  Don't forget to check back tomorrow and see what I have for my Friday Favorites. I have a bunch, and a few updates on products that I ended up not loving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...